Thursday, July 28, 2011

Shopping

Korea has humongous 3-5 story shopping centers, like wal-mart only bigger. This is not talking about the megalith that is the department store here. (I think they're malls go up instead of out like ours do.) I'm talking about the walmart-like stores E-mart and HomePlus. I went to E-mart for the first time last night with one of my coworkers, specifically looking for pots and potting soil. (Remember I brought seeds for herbs with me. Cilantro is impossible to get here. I may be popular if I start growing it lol)



We explored every floor of the 5 story complex. The first two floors were walmart-like grocery and home good shopping, and then a clothing store. There were also numerous small shops, like a nail place and a pet store, hanging out on each floor.



There was a doctor's office on the 3rd floor.


To get between floors, there is this conveyor-belt thing! We were going upstairs when I took this. These are designed so you can take your shopping cart between floors with you easily. The shopping carts and moving ramps are designed so that the carts suddenly stop rolling when they meet the ramp. (When I first experienced it, I thought it must have been electric or magnetic brakes or something, it happened so suddenly and caught so fast. But upon closer inspection I realized it was much simpler.) This is a really cool thing I think they should have these in America!

3 comments:

Dad said...

Soooooo how does it work?!?!????!?!

Meg said...

@Dad - I knew that would drive you insane... Muahahaha

I'll tell you later. Maybe I'll get a picture of the wheels next time I go, and see if you can tell what's going on. ^_^ It's really simple you'll enjoy it.

V. V. said...

I've actually seen those conveyor belt things in Washington D.C. It's weird!