Tuesday, June 28, 2011

First day of work

Luckily I landed right in the middle of the week the middle school students take their really important really big exams in public school, so I don't have to teach half of my classes this week because they are excused to study for their big real tests. I am trying to get the hang of where my classes are and what to do in each, but there's a lot to remember.

Yesterday I came to work but the old teacher was still here so I followed her around to her classes and she introduced me. She didn't clean her desk off at all so today I spent most of my breaks cleaning out old candy wrappers and teabags and weird things like that.


After work last night I went out to dinner with all of the foreign teachers at my school and found out 3 of my coworkers speak Spanish (they all have family in Mexico) which was quite fun. Several people helped walk me to my apartment and explain landmarks clearly, so I will not get lost. I can get in any taxi anywhere in Korea and say "Nam gu chun" and end up 3 blocks from my apartment in familiar territory. That is comforting.

I am also jetlagged still, which manifests as a stabbing pain behind my left ear apparently. And I got mosquito bites the other night. Boo. :(

Another note: Today I went shopping, at HomePlus, which is kind of like walmart in that it sells everything in the world at pretty good prices. But unlike walmart in that it is GIGANTIC, like an entire mall. There was a parking garage underneath it, a food court, a floor of groceries, a floor of home goods, etc. It was crazy, and apparently all Korean supermarkets are like this. They have got America beat on the super-super market for sure. So now I have a few basic groceries to eat (ramen, eggs, and yogurt.. I didn't feel like investing in vegetables yet) and things like an alarm clock, a flashlight, batteries, sponges, and the umbrella I wished I had during the monsoon earlier this week.

Tomorrow, I go to the hospital for my health check so I can get my alien registration card. Once I have that, I will be able to open a bank account and get a cell phone and other assorted goodies.

I will let you guys know when I get a plug for my computer so I can charge the battery again, because I can't skype until that happens, battry iz ded.

No comments: