Wednesday, July 06, 2011

It is a beautiful day

It is a beautiful day in Ulsan today. It is cloudy so it is noticeably cooler than it was before. It might rain later but I have my umbrella. Speaking of umbrellas, Korean women carry their umbrellas in the sun. So I have been doing that because it is a great idea to get out of the sun. Yay portable shade. Summer is also the rainy season so I am prepared either way, never leave home without my new umbrella.

I just got out of my first class of the day, which was Story Book with the little kids. One of the kids was late and her mother brought her in, and delivered a big bag of icecream for the kids. Luckily when I looked inside they were the astronaut milk-shake kind. (I call them that because they're little bags with straws attached. You could drink them in space!!) She bought vanilla for the kids and a coffee one for me, how sweet. It took a few minutes to pass out milkshakes and then get everyone to settle down and read some more, but overall it was pretty easy to control the kids since everyone was happily sucking down sugar in their seats. I had a different student read each page out loud, while I sat back and enjoyed a coffee milkshake and the tale of Aladdin and his Lamp in terrible little kid Korean accent.

I am halfway through grading my essays and they are due Friday. Here's another gem for you:

"I want to go to swimming pool
Because
wipe hot sweat
Because
rippled interest occurs
Because
I can play worse swimming
so
I went to go to swimming pool."

I had to copy the unique formatting. It almost reads like one of those crazy modern poets wrote it. "Rippled interest occurs" though, really? I don't even know how to begin interpreting that. Leave a comment with your best guess.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they mean they like watching the ripples in the water, but I'd have no idea how to grade it!

Bella said...

i agree...i think it is 'interesting ripples occur'

Anonymous said...

i agree they are fascinated by ripples or small "waves" in water. using imagination...

Anonymous said...

i agree they are fascinated by ripples or small "waves" in water. using imagination...