Saturday, August 20, 2011

Samgyeopsal

The other night I went out to dinner with a friend and had samgyeopsal. It was awesome, and I took pictures for you.

First I will show the sides, because every Korean restaurant has a plethora of side dishes. A lot of times the entrees are the same everywhere, you pick the restaurant you like because it has the best sides. You can see we got a bottle of soju and a bottle of coca-cola along with our water. Then they brought the sides. This restaurant served salads, sliced garlic, giant peppers in a sweet/savory sauce...


Kimchi, onions and jalapenos sliced in soy sauce, snails? (we weren't sure how to eat these shells) and over on the left you can just barely see the umm seafood spam slices? and a basket of leaves for wrapping food in. Now on to the main dish!

Samgyeopsal is pork belly. That's right. Huge THICK slices of bacon. They bring out a plate of raw meat and we cook it on the grill in the middle of the table.


We tossed garlic and kimchi on the grill too. They give you a pair of tongs for flipping the meat,

and a pair of scissors for cutting it into bite-size pieces. After this point I was overcome with hunger and dug in instead of taking anymore pictures.

You eat it by picking a bite of meat up off the grill with chopsticks, dipping it in one of the sauces on the table, wrapping it in a leaf with some salad, onions, garlic, kimchi, or whatever and pop it into your mouth. Delicious.

3 comments:

Mr. Dan said...

and what is more important..us seeing pictures of this food or your unimportant hunger...I say let it all get cold...if that is the only way we get the pics we deserve.....I mean I would let my sushi get cold if it meant sending you a brilliant picture....

Mr. Dan said...

and pay no attention to the lack of punctuation in the last comment because I do not need punctuation to get my point across?!...

Shae said...

OMG, you found Raven's paradise! Giant pieces of bacon you can cook yourself. He'd love it, I will have to share. It all looks tasty, well except for that stuff that looks like spam, LOL.