We were invited to eat 닭도리탕 with the other dancers from salsa night. Only a couple of people spoke English so the conversation either went through them as translators or left us out. The girl next to me spoke pretty good Spanish and explained that dalk is a Korean word for chicken and dori is a Japanese word for chicken. So we were eating "chicken chicken soup".
Notice the red color. It is a spicy dish! They apparently requested the spice level toned down to 1 of 3, which I found quite enjoyable and not really that spicy. Several Koreans were holding their mouths saying ohh 맵다! 매워요. It's so spicy!
Yussef and I both lived in Mexico so Korean spicy is kind of wimpy. But Koreans warn us not to eat things all the time because they are too spicy for our foreign mouths to handle. Its kind of funny.
I believe this dish could satisfy any spicy food cravings though. It was a little spicy at 1 so I imagine at 3 it might kick my butt. Maybe I'll find out someday, but I'll need a Korean to order it because I'm certain they wouldnt serve it to me no matter how well I ask for all the way spicy in Korean. They do that to protect us... >.< all the time
1 comment:
Looks yummy. So they "protect" the Americans from dishes that are too spicy? Interesting...
Post a Comment