I spent my summer vacation at Golgulsa in Gyeongju (sunmudo.com) sleeping on the floor and getting up at 4am to hike to the temple on top of the mountain for bowing and chanting, then meditating as the sun rose before walking down to breakfast. Then yoga and tai chi and martial arts training all day.
The food was all vegetarian, but I thought it was great. Once we did the special Korean monk meal where you waste absolutely nothing by cleaning your bowl with kimchi and water then drink the remaining soup. Every day was a little different (We learned traditional Korean archery one day... random!). We did108 bows one day (the Grandmaster saw me wobbling down and told me 108 bows is "magic yoga") It absolutely killed my knees!!! But I felt great by the time I left and the 4am hike was no longer a problem.
This temple has several jindo running free. There is a statue of their grandmother, who lived to be very old, and who would attend both morning and evening services at the temple bowing and sitting along with the people every day as long as it lived. It apparently attracted a lot of visitors and donations and therefore deserved its very own happy buddha dog statue, and its children will be cared for in the temple forever. Awww doggies.
No comments:
Post a Comment