Sunday, July 10, 2011

Food

"Even the chili paste has chili paste on it!" Everything here is covered in chili paste, but I haven't encountered anything too spicy for me to handle yet. Kimchi is growing on me already. Every place has different kimchi, but it is everywhere. There's different kinds, and I'm finding I like the kimchi that has a sweeter more pickled taste but the spicy kind is also good. I guess I am lucky I liked kimchi when I tried it! Doubly so because it is extremely healthy for you! It is just salty spicy garlicy fermented cabbage, all of those things making the already healthy cabbage even healthier for you. I hope more kimchi in my diet will help me lose weight. lol

So far most of my new vocabulary words have been foods, since I am trying out new foods with my coworkers and friends. I think I shall be able to order a meal all on my own later this week. Here's a sample of my growing vocabulary of foods:
  • bap - rice! anything with this word has rice. Bibimbap - mixed rice dish! served hot with an egg on top that cooks when you mix everything together.
  • myon - noodles! anything with this word at the end is a noodle dish! Jjajang myon = black bean sauce noodles which is a Korean take on Chinese food and very delishous. I don't think it's very healthy though.
  • ddok - rice dumplings. These are a very heavy, filling meal. Ddok bokki is Rice dumplings in a spicy red sauce served with like little strips of fish bologna or something like that.
Overall, Korean food is pretty tasty! I miss Taco Bell already though :( Isn't that stupid? Lol

2 comments:

V. V. said...

OMG! I'm so jealous of your kimchi experiences! I absolutely LOVE kimchi, but have only tried the one kind that can be found in stores here. :(

Meg said...

@V.V. I told you you should come out here with me. We could be eatin kimchi together!! :P