Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Spicy food!

I was told Korean food in general is too spicy for Americans by multiple people, but I was disappointed by the level of spice in the dishes I was warned were spicy. Yes, there is chili paste in everything but most of the dishes don't really strike me as "Oh that's hot!" it is just a chili flavor.

So last night I went in search of spicy food. I was told there was a super spicy dish at the chicken restaurant on the corner by one of my coworkers. So I went in and ordered it. My ordering at restaurants skills in Korean consist of pointing at the menu and saying "Juseyo" Which means "I want/give this" roughly. And answering whether I want it for here or to go by pointing at the door. Nonetheless, I succeeded in ordering the dish.

A Korean boy was at the counter to pick up his called in order and saw what I ordered and said to me in English "Have you had that before? It is verrrry spicy!" I told him "Good! I like spicy food." And told him about my quest to find really truly spicy food in Korea. He seemed shocked. Told him I was from Mexico ;) then he left with his food and I sat in a chair and waited for my spicy chicken.

The chicken came packaged in the cutest box with pop up chicken cutouts on top and a fold up handle. The chicken box weighed a ton! It was packed inside a really nice gift quality bag, along with a little individual serving tub of pickles, and another of white cubes of pickled radish (I think it's pickled radish, I'm not sure! But like I said before, Koreans are all about the weird little side dishes), and an adorable little 6 oz can of Pepsi. All of this put me back about 9000 won, which is around 8.5 dollars I think. Pretty good deal as it's easily enough for 3 meals for me.

So I got home and broke out the chopsticks to try this chicken. It set my mouth on fire! It was awesome. I also discovered that the dish included some ddok along with the chicken. That was pretty cool, I like ddok. They are very very filling because they are just rice condensed into little cakes/dumplings. I made some rice that I had bought earlier, and ate it with the chicken and ddok to help neutralize the spice a bit, it was yummy together but it didn't really help with the mouth-on-fire bit or the nose-running problem. Lol. But overall, I am happy that I have more spicy chicken in my refrigerator waiting for me to get home and eat it tonight with some rice or noodles. It had a yummy flavor despite the heat level of the spice.

I will take pictures of the adorable packaging later and post them.

No comments: