Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving Dressing

This is probably my favorite food ever. I know it's horribly unhealthy but I used to look forward to eating it every fall in the states. My grandmother used the recipe from Martha White cornbread mix, but I've tweaked it a bit over the years...

First, make cornbread! It's best to do this a day or two ahead, since dry stale bread makes the best stuffing! You can make it however you like, but here's the recipe I use. At the same time get some white bread (Use any kind you like, I like to use hot dog buns or rolls -- 4-6 pieces) and let it go stale as well. You can toast it however you like but it's easier to just leave it out overnight to dry out and go stale.

Preheat the oven to 450
Butter and heat pan (I use a 12 inch round)

Mix with a whisk or fork:
2 cups self-rising corn meal
1/3 cup butter, melted
1-1/3 cup milk
1 egg

Bake 20-25 minutes until done. Eat a piece, then save the rest for stuffing!

 Next make the stuffing!
Finely dice
1 onion
3-4 stalks celery

Melt 1 stick of butter (1/4lb) in a skillet over high heat
Add onion and celery, saute until the onions are soft and translucent (~5-10 minutes)

Meanwhile, butter a pan (9x13) and crumble the cornbread into it, and snap the white bread into small bite-size pieces (if it's not crunchy you can toast or microwave it until it is.) Mix the two. When the onion/celery/butter mix is finished, add it to the pan.

Add:
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp sage
2 tsp black pepper

Mix! (Add more chicken broth if needed to get everything moist.) Bake! 30 minutes-ish. Done when golden brown!

No comments: